Monday, October 16, 2006

The Shipping News from Annie Proulx

Alright! I hope I wouldn't get into copyright issue. I just want to type the first four paragraphs of her book. And, why do I think it's very interesting?
Here is from the book
=====================================================================
Here is an account of a few years in the life of Quoyle, born in Brooklyn and raised in a shuffle of dreary upstate towns.
Hive-spangled, gut roaring with gas and cramp, he survived childhood; at the state university, hand clapped over his chin, he camouflaged torment with smiles and silence. Stumbled through his twenties and into his thirties learning to separteate his feelings from his life, counting on nothing. He ate prodigiously, liked a ham knuckle, buttered spuds.
His jobs: distributor of vending machine candy, all-night clerk in a convenience store, a third-rate newspaperman. At thirty-six, bereft, brimming with grief and thwarted love, Quoyle steered away to Newfoundland, the rock that had generated his ancestors, a place he had never been nor thought to go.
A watery place. And Quoyle feared water, could not swim. Again and again the father had broken his clenched grip and thrown him into pools, brooks, lakes and surf. Quoyle knew the flavor of brack and waterweed.
=====================================================================
I guessed it's enough. It's only 4 paragraphs. But, I really get glanced to know who he was, what he liked, what he feared. It made me wanting to read more. I knew she is the winner of the pulitzer prize. No doubt the book was so vivid and attractive.

The reason why I typed those paragraphs is because we were trying to formulate some scripts. I always think I am a bad storyteller. I like to read good novels and watch interesting movies.

Here, Quoyle, what an interesting name, is a very ordinary man who lives in an ordinary life and is kind of boring himself. One of the very interesting point from Annie Proulx was the names of the characters in the book. Quoyle( a coil of rope).... I haven't heard anyone who has this kind of name. Graphically, the name gives me some kind of tie, curve and going through because you see "Q", then "O" and then "Y" "L". The rope is kind of no strength, sloppy and can be molded whatever you want. It's pretty much him in the book. Rope also can form many beautiful knots. There is a theme in the book that is about knots. Every chapter has a knot that represents what the story is about. It's so cute.

Tell me what you guys think! Thanks!!

Hey, Maurice! Throw some ideas from your thought!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home