Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Guys and Balls

I went to see "Guys and Balls" last night after work. There were only 5 people in the cinema. It was pretty empty. That's what happened with independence movies. Not very easy to find audiences. I generally like independent and artsy movies better. They are not just about entertaining. They always lead you to think and have more depth in the movie. Although I am not against Hollywood big budget movie, I just like to support local small business. :)

The movie is about recruiting gay guys to form a soccer team. It's very much like "Iron Lady" German soccer version with more cute guys in the movie. It was pretty well made. Story was pretty strong. The main character, Ecki, was accidently trying to kiss his teammate and then he was force to come out. And, he wants to challenge his old team because they won't let him back when they found out he is gay. He tried to organize a soccer team in 4 weeks. He wants to beat up his old team. And, he succeeded.

The movie is trying to break the stereotype although they still have some kind of girly gay boys in the team. But It's very diversified. In the centuries, gay has always been described as hairdresser, flamboyant boys, not good at sports. I don't think it's very true. Gay is a sexual preferance. It is not how you can exercise. So what does it mater you can be an good athelete or not. I know lots of gay guys are just athletic as straight or bisexual.

We are caught up by how we would be viewed in the society. And, we constantly have look at ourselves that way. It's very sad. Why can't we all open our mind and listen?

More and more gay sport teams were organized in new york. We see a new generation of gay people who have positive images. Movie is showing that too. :)

1 Comments:

At 5/10/2006 6:46 PM, Blogger Fun Time Kito said...

I know what you mean about stereotypes. I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for eight years. I unconsciously (and sometimes consciously) tried not to put people in the "gay," "transgender," or "hetero" box. I made lots of good friends, drooled over lots of gay and straight muscular athletes and nerds alike, and got to danced a lot.

Actually, an experience that shaped my experience related to gay stereotypes was when I learned what the unity flag stood for. I love color and often wear 3-8 colors per outfit. I saw someone wearing the the rainbow color inspired outfit and remarked out loud that I wanted to buy that outfit. This one guy told me that I'd have to do something special to be able to wear that outfit. It took me awhile, but I figured out what he meant. Then I learned that he was wrong. The rainbow / unity flag was meant to unify all groups. I got me some colors.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home