Sunday, May 21, 2006

Kinky Boots

I love Kinky boots. Drag shows are always my favorite thing to see in the bars. I always admire those drag queens. They can wear those sky-high heels to walk, dance and still make jokes. It's so much fun to watch their performances. They are usually bitchy but in a good way. And, some of them really know how to dress like a real beauty. It's really a joy to watch they performed.

Simone explained to me the difference between "Transgender" and "Transexual" at dinner last night. It's very hard to distinguish two terms. I used to think they are the same. From my understanding now, they are quite different. One is toward the mental part and the other one is more about physical change. We all have some dimensions of ours that happened to be minor. It could be gender, race, sexual orientation. Or, all of them. It's not very easy to understand the minor part I am not in. Like "trans-", I respect and appreciate who they are and what they do. In my mind, they are most brave people in the world. They are not afraid nor shamed of themselves. I didn't have a clue to understand them. It was always confused to me what gender a transexual or a transgender are attracted to. I mean I still have this my own mindset to think things square. But, if love has no boundary, why do I think too much?

The movie was based on a true story. It was about a handcraft show factory in northampton, england. The owner died unexpectedly. The son, Charlie, took it over and found out that the business is in a deep shit. Because of globalization and monopoly, small individual businesses are all dying. Don't you see grocey stores on the corner, local bookshops, coffee shops are all vanishing. Starbucks, McDonald, HopeDepot and Wallmart are everywhere. That's how giant businesses dominate our life in daily bases now. Globalization as you can see here makes many precious skills fading because those skills are either dispised by young generation or not able to be afforded to go on. The invention is the only way we can keep our treasure moving to the new direction and be kept. Also, globalization bring us so many inexpensive and great products. Let us enjoy what we can't before. There are dilemmas there for me.

Transgender issue is the second main topic in this movie. Charlie accidently found drag queens who are men would break their high heels easily when they walk a lot. I would think it's very true from those years I worked in industry. Men usually have stronger movement and heavier set than women. When they try to fit in something that is not made for them. The boots itself couldn't support the figure. They ended up broken easily. Charlie decided to reinvent his handcraft shoe factory to make boots for "drag queens". I think it's a briliant idea. That's the whole story of the movie is how he is going to make it successful.

The movie touches lots of transgender issues also which are really great. We saw how small conservative town people react with a transgener, Lola. When Charlie pursuaded Lola come to work for him as a boots designer. There are many conflicts happening. What Lola is going to wear when she goes to work. Make-up, no make-up. Wig, no wig. How can she win the respect from those hardcore men's showmakers. I really love British gay movies. Stories usually have more depth. I love the opening scene which is a girl/boy tried to fit in a nice pair of red shoes. And, then she/he wore this cute red shoes to dance on this dock in winter time. The scene looks so chilly and grey. I feel like the movie tried to tell us that life is tough if you are different. But, just like that little red shoes. It's the shinny spot to warm you up from toe to head. Life could be brighter if you have a right shoe on your feet. Later on, I found out, he is a boy who happens to look like a girl. I love photography in the movie. It actually reminded me the last scene in "Beautiful Thing". Ste danced with his boyfriend on this very wide plaza between buildings where Ste lives.

One time, my boss told me. If you were a owner of a business, you have to be reponsible for all your employee. They are like your relatives. They work hard for you. You have to fight hard to stay in the business. I saw the same feeling in the movie. Charlie fought so hard to stay in the business because of his pride and workers.

It's really a good movie.....:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home